Subaru High- z Exploration of Low-luminosity Quasars (SHELLQs). XVI. 69 New Quasars at 5.8 < z < 7.0

Yoshiki Matsuoka, Kazushi Iwasawa, Masafusa Onoue, Takuma Izumi, Nobunari Kashikawa, Michael A. Strauss, Masatoshi Imanishi, Tohru Nagao, Masayuki Akiyama, John D. Silverman, Naoko Asami, James Bosch, Hisanori Furusawa, Tomotsugu Goto, James E. Gunn, Yuichi Harikane, Hiroyuki Ikeda, Rikako Ishimoto, Toshihiro Kawaguchi, Nanako KatoSatoshi Kikuta, Kotaro Kohno, Yutaka Komiyama, Chien Hsiu Lee, Robert H. Lupton, Takeo Minezaki, Satoshi Miyazaki, Hitoshi Murayama, Atsushi J. Nishizawa, Masamune Oguri, Yoshiaki Ono, Masami Ouchi, Paul A. Price, Hiroaki Sameshima, Naoshi Sugiyama, Philip J. Tait, Masahiro Takada, Ayumi Takahashi, Tadafumi Takata, Masayuki Tanaka, Yoshiki Toba, Yousuke Utsumi, Shiang Yu Wang, Takuji Yamashita

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

3 Scopus citations

Abstract

We present the spectroscopic discovery of 69 quasars at 5.8 < z < 7.0, drawn from the Hyper Suprime-Cam (HSC) Subaru Strategic Program (SSP) imaging survey data. This is the 16th publication from the Subaru High-z Exploration of Low-Luminosity Quasars (SHELLQs) project, and it completes identification of all but the faintest candidates (i.e., i-band dropouts with z AB < 24 and y-band detections, and z-band dropouts with y AB < 24) with Bayesian quasar probability PQB>0.1 in the HSC-SSP third public data release (PDR3). The sample reported here also includes three quasars with PQB<0.1 at z ∼6.6, which we selected in an effort to completely cover the reddest point sources with simple color cuts. The number of high-z quasars discovered in SHELLQs has now grown to 162, including 23 type II quasar candidates. This paper also presents identification of seven galaxies at 5.6 < z < 6.7, an [O iii] emitter at z = 0.954, and 31 Galactic cool stars and brown dwarfs. High-z quasars and galaxies compose 75% and 16%, respectively, of all the spectroscopic SHELLQs objects that pass our latest selection algorithm with the PDR3 photometry. That is, a total of 91% of the objects lie at z > 5.6. This demonstrates that the algorithm has very high efficiency, even though we are probing an unprecedentedly low luminosity population down to M 1450 ∼-21 mag.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Article number18
JournalAstrophysical Journal, Supplement Series
Volume259
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Mar 2022

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Astronomy and Astrophysics
  • Space and Planetary Science

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Subaru High- z Exploration of Low-luminosity Quasars (SHELLQs). XVI. 69 New Quasars at 5.8 < z < 7.0'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this