We report on room-temperature continuous-wave (CW) operation of λ ∼ 8.2 μm quantum cascade lasers grown by metal-organic chemical vapor deposition without lateral re-growth. The lasers have been processed as double-channel ridge waveguides with thick electroplated gold. CW output power of 5.3 mW is measured at 300 K with a threshold current density of 2.63 kA/cm2. The measured gain at room temperature is close to the theoretical design, which enables the lasers to overcome the relatively high waveguide loss.
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Continuous-wave (CW) lasers
- Quantum cascade (QC) lasers
- Semiconductor lasers